Opportunity closing date:
Tuesday, 31 October, 2017
Employment commencement date:
1 January 2018
Contract employment: 12 months
StudyTrust seeks to appoint a Project Coordinator for the DAFI Refugee Scholarship Project to be based in Richmond, Johannesburg and work on campuses of all South African public institutions of higher learning.
StudyTrust (NPO 000-601) (est. 1974) is a national bursary and student support and development organisation that combats poverty, ignorance and exploitation by making educational opportunities available to young persons with the academic potential but without the financial means. StudyTrust is also the South African implementing partner for the DAFI Refugee Scholarship Project of the United Nations Higher Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), funded by the German government.
As UNHCR implementing partner, StudyTrust is responsible for handling the day-to-day activities related to the management and implementation of the DAFI Refugee Scholarship Project for the benefit of refugees and the communities they reside in, under the overall coordination and management of UNHCR.
This is a 12 month contract position starting on 1 January 2018. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The Project Coordinator will manage the DAFI Scholarship Project and must demonstrate a highly developed understanding of the plight of and aspirations of refugees and specifically refugee students, as well as of the objectives of the Project.
The primary objective of the DAFI Project is to contribute to the promotion of self-reliance of refugee men and women by providing them with a professional qualification geared towards future gainful employment. DAFI beneficiaries and graduates also serve as role models for refugee learners to remain in school and advance their education. In particular, the Project aims to promote female role models to promote the education of the refugee girl child, which is considered key to women and refugee empowerment.
The successful candidate will have a passion for assisting young refugees in realising their potential and become a university graduate. The ability to work independently in multiple locations is a requirements, as well as excellent inter-personal skills and proven organisational ability and leadership qualities.
The DAFI Refugee Scholarship Project Coordinator will be charged with the following duties:
• Managing the DAFI Scholarship Project.
• Raising awareness regarding the DAFI Scholarship Project.
• Informing potential DAFI scholars of the Project.
• Liaising closely with the scholarship recipients for all support needed.
• Monitoring the implementation of the Project.
• Advocating for extra support to refugees and asylum seekers.
• Collaborating with relevant stakeholders, i.e. universities counselling units regarding psycho-social and academic support to students and with the Department of Education regarding tertiary education opportunities for refugees.
• Establishing other partnerships that benefit tertiary education for refugee students.
• Facilitating the provision of psycho-social, academic and orientation counselling to students.
• Recognised relevant tertiary qualification
• Relevant experience
• Capacity to interact with the business and public sector
• Fluent in English, both verbal and written, with fluency in French a recommendation
• Computer literate in all key basic functions
• Highly developed financial literacy
• Report writing skills
• Strong communication skills with ability to present in forums
• Ability to manage and lead a small team
• Strong interpersonal and networking skills
• Sound organisational skills
• Positive, enthusiastic, team player, detail- and results-oriented.
2. Letter of motivation
3. RSA ID / Work Permit / Section 24 Permit
4. At least 3 reference letters.
For more about StudyTrust and DAFI, refer to StudyTrust and UNHCR - DAFI
Want to download this advert?