Amazon (Software Development Engineer) Recruitment Bursary
Do you want to solve business challenges through innovative technology? Do you enjoy working on cutting-edge, scalable services technology in a team environment? Do you like working on industry-defining projects that move the needle?
At Amazon, they hire the best minds in technology to innovate and build on behalf of their customers. The intense focus they have on their customers is why they are one of the world’s most beloved brands – customer obsession is part of their company DNA.
The Amazon (Software Development Engineer) Recruitment Bursary was launched in 2018 by Amazon Development Centre for people from previously disadvantaged backgrounds. Successful applicants will receive funding from Amazon to cover tuition fees, accommodation and additional academic costs. Additionally, successful applicants will complete a paid formal Amazon internship (in summer vacation) during which applicants are assessed for a full-time permanent Software Development Engineer (SDE) role to start upon completion of studies. Amazon is a place where motivated employees thrive and where employee ownership and accountability lead to meaningful results.
The Amazon Recruitment Bursary will cover the costs (capped) of the following:
- Residence/private accommodation
- Stationery and books
- A personal computer
SDEs at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale with cutting-edge technology, and develop critical products for their customers. SDEs own systems end-to-end; they design, build and test high-quality software solutions, and help influence the direction of technology that delights hundreds of millions of customers around the world. Amazon SDE interns write real software – interns’ design, code, and raw smarts contribute to solving some of the most complex technical challenges in the areas of distributed systems, data mining, automation, optimization, scalability, and security – just to name a few.
Amazon SDE Internship
As an Amazon SDE intern, you will have the chance to demonstrate your skills and add real value through the ownership and delivery of an impactful project that matters to their customers. Throughout the internship, you will engage and learn from other Amazonians, expand your network, and have access to training opportunities and social events for both your personal and professional development. Amazon will assess your performance throughout the internship with the prospect to offer successful interns a full-time permanent role to start upon completion of your studies.
Who Can Apply - Eligibility Criteria
StudyTrust, on behalf of Amazon, invites current students (third year, fourth year and Honours in 2023) with a keen interest in Amazon and software development engineering, to apply for this Amazon Bursary Programme. Important: please ensure you meet the following eligibility criteria before submitting your application:
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Information Technology.
- Year level: Third year, fourth year and Honours in 2023.
- South African universities only.
- Current students who are consistently obtaining an average of 65% and above.
Career Plans & Motivations:
- Applicants must display a clear motivation for Amazon and the field of software development engineering, and are seeking an opportunity to be assessed for a full-time permanent role to start upon completion of their studies.
- Successful applicants must complete an internship (during summer vacation), and participate in training opportunities at Amazon.
- Successful applicants must commit to accepting a full-time permanent role if an offer is extended following internship assessment. Full-time roles start after completion of studies and applicants must commit to working in their full-time role for the equivalent number of years funded.
- Only applications from South African citizens will be considered.
How to Apply
- Applications open 1 May and close 15 September. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, throughout the application timeline above.
- Complete your application on StudyTrust’s online platform before the closing date of 15 September to be considered for a bursary to begin 2023.
- After submitting an application via StudyTrust, shortlisted candidates will undergo an additional assessment with Amazon.
- Carefully read the instructions on the Bursary Applications page before beginning your application.
Registered Educational Trust
PBO Tax Exempt
NPO Sustainability Rating
Level One (>91%)
48 Years experience
R1 billion+ in bursaries to students
25 000+ Bursaries & scholarships awarded
UNHCR Implementing Partner
StudyTrust is an educational trust and public benefit organisation, that connects learners with potential to their study opportunities.
We administer bursaries and scholarships, provide mentoring and support to help tertiary students thrive academically and personally.