Setshaba Research Centre Bursary
Setshaba Research Centre (SRC) aims to be a world-class health research organisation, benefitting local communities while making a global impact. The centre is based in Soshanguve and has gained vast experience in various areas of health research including HIV, TB, COVID and Maternal/Pediatrics. SRC’s community engagement initiatives include funding a bursary programme administered by the national bursary organisation, StudyTrust.
The SRC bursary programme aims to fund academically deserving students from the geographical area of Soshanguve and surrounds who do not have the financial means to study fulltime towards a first undergraduate degree or diploma at a South African public university or university of technology.
Bursaries are afforded annually and may be renewable annually thereafter depending on the length of the course of study and the academic performance of the bursary applicant. An individual who does not pass the year or semester, will not automatically be eligible for a renewal bursary the next year. However, the individual can submit a motivation in support for a renewal which will be considered.
There may be a limit to the monetary value of a bursary, which may include a stipend for living expenses and educational material depending on the need demonstrated.
Bursaries will be provided for all degree or diploma study programmes, but priority will be given to the following fields of study:
- medical and health sciences
accounting and commerce
engineering and the built environment
social sciences and the humanities
media and communication
The SRC Bursary will cover the costs (capped) of the following:
- residence/ private accommodation
- stationery and books
- a personal computer
- SRC will consider applications from only South African citizens. Applicants residing within the vicinity of SRC will be given preference. This includes Soshanguve, Mabopane, Eersterus, Stinkwater, Kekana, Suurman, Kanana, Winterveldt, and parts of Ga-Rankuwa.
- Applicants must have a proven financial need, as determined by household income (documents will be needed)
- Past academic results for tertiary bursary applications:
- A minimum academic average of 65% in matric for entry into tertiary education and 60% in the year that an applicant is applying at the tertiary level
- A minimum academic average of 65% for the required subjects aligned to the qualification an applicant plans to study at university.
- An applicant must have successfully obtained admission approval to a South African public university or university of technology for an undergraduate qualification.
How to apply
- Applications must be completed on StudyTrust’s online application platform before 30 September to be considered for a bursary for next year.
- Only applications from South African citizens will be considered.
- A certified copy of an applicant’s South African identity document (certification not older than 3 months).
- Proof of residential address.
- Confirmation of provisional institutional admission.
- Grade 11 and latest academic results for current learners and full academic record and latest (mid-year) results of students already studying.
- Proof of income of parent(s) or guardian(s) that may consist of
- Certified or official copy of recent pay slip, letter of employment, not older than three months, for each parent or guardian,
- Proof of income, bond statement and council rates accounts (not older than three months) and any other documentation demonstrating financial status and/or need and may include tax returns, divorce orders and maintenance orders.
SRC accepts complete applications submitted online to StudyTrust via the application platform.
There are a limited number of bursary allocations and accordingly the process is competitive. All applications are reviewed and shortlisted based on merit, need and course of study.
On completion of the document review process, shortlisted applicants will be requested to:
- Participate in psychometric and other assessments
- Attend an interview.
When the screening process is completed, the applications of eligible applicants together with their screening results are presented to SRC’s bursary committee for review. Bursaries are awarded at the sole discretion of SRC’s Bursary Committee.
It is the responsibility of a successful applicant to ensure acceptance into the relevant educational institution. Bursary funds will only be disbursed upon successful registration & confirmed acceptance. Tuition fees will be disbursed directly to the educational institution.
- Application Season: 01 May to 30 September.
Registered Educational Trust
PBO Tax Exempt
NPO Sustainability Rating
Level One (>91%)
48 Years experience
R1 billion+ in bursaries to students
25 000+ Bursaries & scholarships awarded
UNHCR Implementing Partner
StudyTrust is an educational trust and public benefit organisation, that connects learners with potential to their study opportunities.
We administer bursaries and scholarships, provide mentoring and support to help tertiary students thrive academically and personally.
© Copyright 2022 | All Rights Reserved